Sunday, July 5, 2009

Week #26 Telling My Story: Patriotic Edition


I'm proud to be an American! I feel so blessed at this time of year to live where I live. I think so often we take for granted the many blessings that living in this country affords us. I'm thankful for freedom of religion, the right to vote, freedom of speech, and life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I'm thankful for my ancestors that helped give me that right(my genealogy has been traced back to George Washington) and thankful that my children will grow up with these rights. So for this post I am sharing our Independence Day in pictures.


Our church has a cute parade for the kiddos in the morning, followed by a home-cooked breakfast!

I had to include this picture I took of Alex on July 3rd when we were decorating Isaac's bike for the parade. He was pulling of the decorations faster than we could put them on.




Gearing up for the parade...





Happy Birthday America!



Alex, just being his chill self...
We went up to Grandma Norma and Grandpa Ron's house for a lunch time BBQ. I was so tired, I took no pictures there. After much needed naps the boys went outside to play. When I came out to check on them, this is what I saw. I love seeing my children play together. The older Alex gets, the more they play. They spend hours in this sandbox.





Before the actual firework show, we decided to light some sparklers before Alex went to bed. He was quite intrigued, but then got mad when he wasn't allowed to hold one.



Around 8:30pm, Mimaw and Grumpy came over with the arsenal of fireworks they bought for us to light. Harmony and Jason joined us too. Isaac was beyond excited. I think this was the first year he has really shown an interest in them. Sparklers and pops were the appetizers and a few fountains for the main course. When we were done lighting ours, we were sitting around visiting. We noticed my neighbors two houses up lighting their fireworks. Now to preface the next comment, I have to tell you what a weed infested yard the particular neighbors have. The weeds are as tall as me, no joke. So jokingly, I said "I wish they would light their fireworks in the middle of their yard and burn all their weeds down." The next thing we knew the weeds next to their driveway were burning. They got it out with the hose, but it was pretty funny. I guess I better watch what I wish for.












When Isaac saw that I was taking pictures of the fireworks, he decided to get his camera and snap a few. Too cute!
Here's Grumpy, Mimaw requested no pictures be posted of her due to nighttime shower and bed time apparel. Request granted. We love you Mimaw!
After our show was done, Travis took Isaac up on the roof. From our house you can see many of the city's firework shows. I think Isaac just liked being on the roof best.

14 comments:

  1. great photos! Looks like you had a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderfully fun photos! Loved the matching red-white striped shirts and the bike parade looks like it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwwww. Your day sounds fantastic : ). Your boys are just too cute for words! LOVE those pictures to bits. We adore sparklers at our house. We have been doing them at least 3 times a week since Memorial day. I keep hoping the fascination will end, but it is just not happening : )

    I love how Memaw got out of pictures. So funny : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun photos, your boys in their strips are darling! looks like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day for your boys (and you, too)! I especially love the photos with the sparklers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the boys matching shirts... Great 4th of July pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great way to celebrate the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shots. I love how you captured the sparklers and the bicycle parade...so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You shoot with a D60 too! I love seeing other people's work with the same camera. So far I love mine. I switched over from Olympus recently. Missing all the lenses I had with the Olympus but eventually I will get more!!!

    I love all your pictures! Your son is sooo adorable. THe fireworks pictures are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That parade looks like a lot of fun! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics! Your boys are super adorable and the fireworks pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sparkler shots with the clear focus on the sparkling and boys in the shallow DoF. Very nice! And I forgot how much fun those are. Maybe I can still find some???

    ReplyDelete
  13. sparkelers are my vavorite ever! if yo uget the ones on a metal stick, you can bend a 90 degree angle on the bottom and then twirl it around and you get the most amazing tight perfect circles. this is one of my fav ways to sparkle. unfortunately, we could only find the wooden stick ones this year...still fun though. glad you were to share your day with us. have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, it's Marshall from I Heart Faces here. What a fabulous day you guys had! The kids parade looks like something right out of Mayberry. It's so awesome to see people come together like that and celebrate the wonderful freedoms that we enjoy. Your images of the day really make it feel alive vibrant. I especially like the one of your son Isaac looking up from the sandbox. The composition, light, color and detail are all amazing. That's a print it out and frame it kinda picture to me. Thanks for sharing your day and your wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete